Monroe County, Indiana

Welcoming people from all walks of life.

Emergency Management


About the Monroe County Emergency Management Office

Emergency Management means the preparation for and the coordination of all emergency functions other than functions for which military forces or other federal agencies are primarily responsible for to prevent, minimize and repair injury and damage resulting from disasters.

The formation and regulation of county level emergency management follow Indiana Code Title 10, Article 14.

Our Mission Statement

To establish and maintain a progressive emergency management program that promotes the mitigation of, preparation for, the response to, and the recovery from emergencies and disasters impacting the public, government, and business of the communities in Monroe County.


June is Pet Preparedness Month


Our pets are part of our family.  While your are preparing your Emergency Plan, there are special considerations you should consider for all your pets.  Weather affects them too and can give them anxiety just like us humans.  Check out this flyer by to ensure your best friend is taken care of.

June 21st-27th is Lightning Awareness Week


According to the National Weather Service, Lightning is a major cause of storm related deaths in the United States. A lightning strike can result in a cardiac arrest (heart stopping) at the time of the injury, although some victims may appear to have a delayed death a few days later if they are resuscitated but have suffered irreversible brain damage. The United States reports an average of 43 reported lightning fatalities per year.  That accounts for 10% of the people stuck by lightning.  The other 90% are left with some degree of disability.   Below are the most recent table of statistics.

Lightning Table

To remain safe when lightning occurs, review and practice the below tips:

Lightning: What You Need to Know

  • NO PLACE outside is safe when thunderstorms are in the area!!
  • If you hear thunder, lightning is close enough to strike you.
  • When you hear thunder, immediately move to safe shelter: a substantial building with electricity or plumbing or an enclosed, metal-topped vehicle with windows up.
  • Stay in safe shelter at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.

Indoor Lightning Safety

  • Stay off corded phones, computers and other electrical equipment that put you in direct contact with electricity.
  • Avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets.
  • Stay away from windows and doors, and stay off porches.
  • Do not lie on concrete floors, and do not lean against concrete walls.

Last Resort Outdoor Risk Reduction Tips

If you are caught outside with no safe shelter anywhere nearby the following actions may reduce your risk:

  • Immediately get off elevated areas such as hills, mountain ridges or peaks
  • Never lie flat on the ground
  • Never shelter under an isolated tree
  • Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter
  • Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes and other bodies of water
  • Stay away from objects that conduct electricity (barbed wire fences, power lines, windmills, etc. 



Blood Drives

Monroe County Government in partnership with the Monroe Convention Center and the Red Cross have teamed up to address the blood shortage in our area.  If you would like to help the cause and donate blood, please click on one of the below dates for details on registration and the blood drive dates.  We are all in this together. 

June 28, 2021 (10AM-3PM)

June 29, 2021 (2PM-7PM

July 13, 2021 (10AM-3PM)

July 15, 2021 (2PM-7PM)

August 26, 2021 (1PM-7PM)

August 27, 2021 (1PM-7PM)


Sign Up For Emergency Alerts !

Sign up and receive critical community information.

Citizen Alert Sign-Up
Receive emergency alerts and other important community news by signing up for Monroe County Alert. This systems enables us to provide you with critical information quickly, such as tornado warnings, road closures, missing persons and evacuations that are specific to Monroe County.

You will receive time sensitive messages, and you can specify to receive them by text, email, home phone, etc. and what types of alerts you would like to receive.


Travel Advisory Map

To keep up to date on the current travel status of Monroe County, click here Travel Advisory Map Link

For up-to-date news, follow us on Facebook.

IDHS Travel Map

Contact Us

Allison Moore,
5850 W Foster Curry Dr
Bloomington, IN 47403
Get Directions
  • Phone: (812) 349-2546
  • Fax: (812) 349-2052
  • Staff Directory
  • M - F 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

In this Department

Topics of Interest

More Information

Find content and services related to this page.