Get Involved with Your Local Stormwater Community in 2016!
Stormwater Events 2016
No scheduled events at this time
Past Stormwater Events
- Youth Center Rain Garden. October 2013. Volunteers from the county, youth shelter and community helped plant about 600 native plants in the old detention pond behind the Youth Services Bureau of Monroe County's South Adams Street facility. Rain gardens are planted in a depression and collect water from parking lots, roads and rooftops that may contain pollutants. The native plants have deep roots that help filter our water. To find out more about rain gardens click here!
Volunteers planting the native plants
- Monroe Lake Cleanup. September 2013. Monroe County Stormwater Program, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Hoosier National Forest, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sponsored a volunteer day to help clean up Monroe Lake after heavy summer use. As a thank you to the many volunteers, the day ended with a free BBQ. Here are some highlights from the day:
- 62 volunteers
- 10 tires
- 2 dumpsters full of trash
- 1 dumpster load of recyclables
- Plenty of mailboxes, tables, chairs...
- And finally the oddest find of all, one hand grenade
Thank you to all our volunteers! The lake clean up was a great success!
Bringing the trash ashore to go into the dumpster
Boats used for the clean up
Volunteers rolling tires to the dumpster
Free BBQ after the clean up